Black Road Lift Station and Force Main - Joliet, IL
The Black Road lift station and force main project consists of approximately 25,000 LF of 24-inch force main as well as upgrades to the Black Road lift station and the Aux Sable Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant. Clark Dietz developed a solution to reduce flooding on the west side of the City during wet weather events.
Clark Dietz developed an XPSWMM model for the existing service area and performed hydrologic and hydraulic modeling to determine where the system bottlenecks were located. A range of solutions to correct the flooding problem was developed and construction cost estimates and rain event frequency probabilities were evaluated. It was determined that the flooding was occurring at the Clare and Bronk intersection on a two to three year recurrence interval. The most cost effective solution will reduce the recurrence to once in every 10 years and consists of re-routing the service area to the Aux Sable Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant instead of its current destination, which is the Westside Wastewater Treatment Plant. Clark Dietz assisted the City by developing a fast track solution and preparing Illinois EPA loan applications to qualify the City for low interest stimulus funding for this project.
The project consisted of the following key elements:
- XPSWMM modeling
- 10.8 MGD capacity pump station with two pumps in service
- Four 3750 GPM, 300 HP VFD pumps with two in service and two spares
- Capability to pump flow to Aux Sable WWTP and/or Westside WWTP simultaneously
- 25,000 LF force main 24" in diameter
- Standpipe at discharge of force main
- Easements with multiple residents utilities and railroad authorities
- Transient analysis and topography requires surge tower at Aux Sable WWTP
- Vortex drop unit in surge tower
- Multiple bore and jack locations
- SRF funding